Helen is based in Pipers Melbourne office. Helen practises in all aspects of trade mark law, copyright and designs for local and international clients. Helen offers her clients strategic intellectual property advice with a commercial focus.
Prior to joining Pipers, Helen was a trade marks practitioner and Partner at Pipers Mills Oakley in Australia, and then Middletons. Before becoming an intellectual property professional, Helen practised as an Audiologist in clinical, research and tertiary teaching positions and managed an allied health department in a public teaching hospital in Melbourne.
Helen has particular expertise in:
- assessment and review of intellectual property to determine the best commercial strategies the for protection of assets
- prosecution of trade mark and design registrations nationally and internationally
- trade mark opposition matters in relation to actions for infringement and for removal
Some of the major transactions she has worked on include:
- conducting trade mark infringement actions, including opposition to registration, for an overseas based motor vehicle manufacturer, a large local textile manufacturer and an international sporting organisation
- acting for an international fashion house in a local trade mark opposition which was part of a concurrent dispute in several other countries, including settlement negotiations
- management of international assignments of trade mark rights for clients in the consumer goods and toy industries
- defence of Australian trade mark rights and copyright for overseas based companies in industries including fashion, fragrance and homewares
- strategic trade mark portfolio management for clients in a range of industries
Helen is a member of the Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia and The Institute of Trade Marks Attorneys (UK).